We are in full-blown crazy busy toddler mode. The only ounce of baby I see in him is when he blesses me by snuggling into my right shoulder while he sucks his left thumb as I sing him songs before nap and bedtime. I hope he doesn’t drop this any time soon!
A couple of weeks ago he was weighed at the clinic and he was over 26 lbs. He’s definitely our hunkiest chunk of a toddler, he’s so solid like a little bulldozer!
- No major changes. He’s outgrown his 18 month summer clothes, he fits in quite a few 24 month pieces, but when he needs to wear warmer clothes he’ll fit in a mix of 18-24 month clothes for awhile
- We are in full picky toddler mode; he’s so unpredictable what and how much he’ll eat
- He really isn’t a fan of breakfast, he kind of just grazes, usually start with some Cheerios and sometimes he likes a cinnamon raisin bagel or toast or waffle
- The only fruit he eats are bananas and watermelons, I’ll try to help him eat really sweet fruit like cantaloupe or peaches and he just spits them out for some reason
- Loves yogurt drinks
- Favourite supper is still any kind of chicken and rice, he’ll let us spoon feed him that happily
- Favourite lunch is cut up hot dogs, he will always gobble those up
- He definitely lets us know when he wants “nom noms” and he is in the booster seat with a tray at the table with us and our high chair is gone—more space!
- 11-12 hours at night, the odd time he’ll sleep more he’s in bed between 6:30-7 so he’s usually up by 6:30 AM
- Consistently has 1 nap a day now, no matter what; he’s definitely the earliest of the 3 to do this transition and he’s done it very well
- He goes down any time between 10-12, depending on the day, and sleeps 2-3 hours, the odd time longer
- He fought his car seat nap on the way to mom’s a few weeks ago until about 10 minutes before we got there so I imagine he’ll be dropping this habit from now until he’s 3 or 4 when he’s really tired and needs a nap
- Climbing up big brother’s bunk bed ladder!! So proud and luckily he knows to call out for me to get down, not that I’d take that for granted—I watch him more closely than ever now!
- Can go up and down stairs safely (We don’t have stairs in our house he’s allowed to use, so he practices at grandma’s and outside)
- Loves to explore outside on his own when we’re outside and manages very well with our hilly terrain
- Can easily walk around on any surface with no shoes—not even gravel stops him!
- Can get off the couch and bed safely
- Has a fondness of Thomas the Train (with a lot of encouragement from us, as we have SO MUCH Thomas stuff from Braden’s obsession) and says “Ta-dis” when we play Thomas for him
- Loves to watch “If I Were a Digger” and other digger shows on YouTube on our TV
- Gets down on the floor, just like Ethan used to, to drive trucks and tractors
- LOVES harvest time and seeing the trucks, tractors and combines “brrrm! brrrrm!”
- Will pull anything in his reach off the table which has resulted in a lot of “Braden! He spilled your water again, come clean it up!”
- Had a fever for 2.5 days over a weekend, took him to clinic on a Monday and he was diagnosed with tonsillitis for the first time 🙁 10 days on Amoxil did the trick, we were antibiotic-free for him since February, so that’s good, but I really hope it’s not an early start to cold season for him, he has been susceptible to ear infections and croup already
- Fell in love with a tractor book mom got him and just generally loves books all around, I catch him in his room often just “reading” his books
- Loves to sing along to “Twinkle Twinkle” at bedtime and knows that “up above the world so high” is coming and sings “uppa bubba”, very cute!
- When I sing “I Had a Rooster” to him he tries to sing “dee doodle dee doodle” and knows what a cat, dog and cow say
- Knows where his toes are and claps for himself when he finds them, knows where his head is and needs a bit of help with his nose and eyes
- Can say “shut” and loves to shut the fridge door and anything that’s open, really
- Blows kisses
- When we say “love you!” to him, he responds with a kissy sound
- Says “nigh nigh”, puts his left thumb in his mouth and walks to his room when he’s tired and ready for a nap or bedtime
- Starting to say 2 words together “bye, Daddy” and waves
- Had another haircut
I’m gonna brag on our boy, he is SO SMART. Braden was very advanced with language at this age too, but Jonathan even more so. Ethan was quite behind, but as soon as he turned 2 he had a language explosion and “caught up” to where he should be. Jonathan is very perceptive and he can figure things out pretty quick…which can also be a problem!
He’s still such a rascal and loves getting into trouble. His favourite thing ever is crawling up onto Braden’s bunk bed, lucky me! It feels ridiculously good to get rid of baby stuff. I donated and sold all of our infant and baby toys and he’s more than happy with all of his toddler toys and playing with his brother’s diggers, trains and trucks.
Thankful to have this big little guy in our family.
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- Ham and Potato Soup - February 14, 2018
- Pediatric Migraines & Chiropractic | Does It Really Help? - February 5, 2018
- Jonathan is 21 Months Old! - January 30, 2018