It’s been a busy month. I thought I was busy 6 years ago when Braden was a toddler of 18 months, but he’s got nothing on a 15 month old Jonathan! Jonathan is getting busier by the day, but he’s so much fun and such a little ham.
- Still in 18-24 month stuff
- Size 6 shoes because his feet are so fat and thick!
- Breastfeeding officially ended for us shortly after he turned 14 months old. I remember looking at him our last session before bedtime and I said “we’re done, aren’t we?” and he smiled and giggled and so did I. It’s bittersweet…but I’m done, I felt obligated to do it and I didn’t enjoy it anymore…I couldn’t see myself nursing a toddler much longer than this, and he hasn’t cared or asked since, I couldn’t ask for anything more.
- Toddler fickleness has hit again, but he’s nowhere near as bad as his brothers used to be (yet)
- He usually snacks on Cheerios in the morning, still loves bananas and has taken a liking to any kind of bagel we have cut up for breakfast
- He won’t eat yogurt from a spoon, but loves yogurt drinks now
- I think he just really doesn’t like being fed from a spoon, period. He gets very irritated even when we know he’s hungry.
- Started eating from whole pieces of food — I can give him 1/2 a grilled cheese sandwich and he will take his own bites now, whereas before he would just play and squish it in his hands
- Loves fresh peas from the garden
- Doesn’t really like any fruit consistently other than bananas; only squishes the blueberries he used to love now
- He knows when he wants his nom noms, he will run over to his high chair and start pulling down on the tray
- Generally sleeping 11-11.5 hours at night, just like Ethan used to, about 7-6 or so
- Really feels he should have 1 nap a day, but sometimes if that nap is too early, it makes for a long afternoon and a cranky period before supper
- A couple times a week he will have 2 naps a day, or at least a quiet time in his crib in the afternoon if we need
- Has been having good 3 hour naps lately, even had a 3.5 hour nap a couple of days ago but I’m not holding my breath for this to continue
- He went through a big 5 o’clock hour wake up for the day phase this last month as he finished teething and it was NO FUN, but generally up in the 6 o’clock hour now
- Had a rough transition on our trip to BC with the 1 hour time change and being in a loud and busy house
- Had a 45 minute nap each way to BC, which is exactly what his brothers used to do too
- I can’t believe it’s only been a month he’s been walking, but now he’s pretty much running; still trips now and again but pretty smooth sailing here!
- CLIMBING! See photo below and super cute video!
- Says “sit” perfectly, as we are often asking him to SIT!!!! when he is at the top of the stairs or standing on top of something he’s climbed
- Says “wazzat?” for “what’s that?”
- Said “lala” once before we read a Llama Llama book, his favourite
- Very good at imitating; if you sing “lalala” or “dadada” he will copy
- Nods and shakes his head with very distinct and slow motion 🙂
- Can open all the doors in our house, because they are lever doorknobs — time to start locking the front door again!
- First vacation to BC, did so well on the road trip but had a rough sleep transition with the 1 hour time change…oh well, he still had a blast!
- Found a fondness for his brothers’ stuffies in BC so he found a fox stuffie at a store and we bought it for him. He loves it and calls it “Kitty”
- Will tease you by coming to bring you something and then quickly turns away as he changes his mind
- Loves to be chased and tickled
- Has all of his teeth now!
- Has noticed his fox stuffed chair he got for his birthday and loves to sit/wrestle/play with it
- Roughhouses with his brothers, especially Ethan
- Had his 3rd haircut…NOT.A.FAN anymore!
- Holds phone up to his ear and “talks”
- Loves to open and close things
- Staring to play with trucks a lot, he really loved a blue police semi and trailer toy that was in BC so we brought it home for him
Oh we are busy with this boy. Did I say that already? In our own territory I have baby-proofed enough that generally he can’t get into trouble at home and I don’t have to worry, but I’d never take that for granted and I’m on the look out constantly. He is very independent with play, just like his brothers were, which is good for the both of us as school approaches in a month and a bit and it’ll be just me and him 2-3 days a week.
His poor limbs still have pretty bad eczema patches. Just when I think I have it figured out and they’re at bay, he gets an AWFUL flare up. He had a horrible reaction to sunscreen the other night that I’ve used before…and it wasn’t when I put it on, it was when he had a bath that night and I put our usual lotion on…poor guy just started screaming and shaking and pacing in pain. I think his poor skin probably felt like it was on fire 🙁 I might need to make an appointment and get a consult to dermatology or allergy testing to see if something is making it flare. Braden & Ethan’s eczema was never ever this bad and, for the most part, was cleared up at this age. I do need to make a better effort to make sure he’s thoroughly moisturized morning and night though!
As I read last month’s update I’m happy to report that the angry shrieking has stopped (praise Jesus!) which is such a relief. He hasn’t caught onto baby signs (he does clap when he is done) even though he is an amazing imitator, but he still communicates his needs well and we understand him.
I can’t wait to see what the next many months of toddlerhood bring—I’ll be ready to run and chase!