I had to think about that one for a bit—it doesn’t seem like he should be 14 months, I almost wrote 13 months again. Jonathan finally had his 12 month vaccinations (they have a 2 month wait list right now!) and he was weighed and is 25 lbs 1 oz and 31¾” tall. He gained ½ lb in just over a month and almost 2″ in 2 months. His head growth has slowed down to the 52%ile from the 76%ile to 46.5 cm…so I’m trying to not worry about his head. I wonder if I’ll ever not worry about his head!
Speaking of his head, it’s exactly a year ago today that I got that email informing me that it was highly likely Jonathan had craniosynostosis when I posted his 2 month update. It was one of the scariest moments of my life, but I am forever grateful to the woman who was so brave to write that email, as 20 days later, he would have surgery to correct it. I still worry that he looks too “sagittal”, and cranio families will know exactly what I mean. His head has regressed, especially the right side of his head, which we expected it would, but it’s also nowhere near as bad as where we started. I just worry that it’s not the way it should be; maybe I’m worrying for nothing. Not seeing our actual neurosurgeon at his 1 year appointment and seeing just the fellow, didn’t help my (now) worries AT ALL. Very disappointed and frustrating. His temples are still pinched a bit, BUT so were Braden’s at this age and he outgrew it. The surgeon did say that you can’t beat those genetics, so hopefully Jonathan will outgrow/grow into it just like Braden did.
- A lot of his 18-24m clothing is getting very snug, so the 2T stuff isn’t too far off!
- His feet are thick and fat like Braden’s so he’s almost in size 6!
- Wearing 24 month pajamas
- Appetite has been better, but he’d still been teething for the majority of this month, so I think his mouth gets pretty sore which tanks his appetite at times
- He doesn’t like/won’t eat oatmeal consistently so I don’t bother anymore
- Usually eats some Cheerios and a pancake or peanut butter toast for breakfast
- Can eat a whole grilled cheese or PB/honey sandwich for lunch
- Eats whatever we do for supper, still loves chicken/rice the most!
- I’m finding he must not like certain foods in his hands, so if we feed him he’ll eat it, but won’t feed himself (eggs, bananas, etc.)
- Loves to snack on graham crackers, yogurt, blueberries
- Still loves guzzling whole milk and water
- Starting to get into the “eats better while grazing on the go” phase…trying to avoid doing it all the time, but if we’re out and about…I just don’t care
- Still breastfeeding him, but only in the AM and/or bedtime; I’m not always home for one or the other so once per day can often be the norm. I’m torn if we should just keep going because we’re both fine with it…or if we should completely wean now so we don’t have a potential fight about it (from him) when he knows better. He’s never been pushy or grabby about it, so we’ll see…
- Has been getting better-ish! Goes to bed anywhere from 6-7 and sleeps 10-11.5 hours; the 10 hour sleep nights suck as then he wakes in the 5:00 hour and it’s been hard
- He still is fighting with 1 nap vs. 2; his nap lengths have suffered with all his teething so usually it’s 2 naps a day, or 1 nap and a super early bedtime
- Will have a car seat nap still, but only if very tired and awake 4+ hours and that’s not even a guarantee!
- Walking! First steps! He’s been taking steps since June 3, right after he turned 13 months, and hesitantly and cautiously walking more and more ever day, especially lately!
- Yesterday was his first time outside at the year end soccer party, and he LOVED being able to walk, and even run around outside—I’m so excited for summer!
- Standing from sitting; has really good balance!
- Says “night night” and “buh bye” and waves before he has a nap or goes to bed
- Says “Papa” and “Poppy” but doesn’t necessarily know who they are yet!
- Calls Kihei, our dog, “puppa” for puppy
- Absolutely loves his book, one of our tractor board books broke, but he loves carrying around one of the pages and will say “tractor”
- Getting close to blowing kisses, is VERY good at imitating sounds and actions
- Has all 4 molars now, and also got his last eye tooth on the top and 3 teeth on the bottom and then he’s all done! MY BABY IS ALL DONE TEETHING BEFORE 14 MONTHS!
He is just a delight and a joy. He is loving being outside, even more so now that he can walk and explore on his own. Last night at the year-end soccer party he just loved walking (and trying to run!) around and it was even better when he found a soccer ball!
Jonathan enjoyed his second Sports Days and went to pancake breakfast and watched the parade with Papa. He went home for a nap and then came back for the rodeo events in the afternoon and had fun exploring, but didn’t fair as well as he could have because he was lacking in the nap department. Oh well, there’s always next year!
He’s still super snuggly when I put him to bed and I cherish this very very much. He just snuggles right into the right side of my chest and buries his head in my shoulder and sucks his thumb and starts to sing. He generally goes down very, very good lately and falls right to sleep.
Jonathan is generally a very happy little man, but he has started to shriek a lot lately in frustration. It’s hard because a) it’s REALLY loud (and quite frankly annoying!) and b) he’s clearly trying to communicate something—but what?! Usually tired or that he’s done eating or something. Trying hard to be patient with him, and figure out what he wants!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- Every Child Needs Thomas in Their Life - November 18, 2017
- Teach Your Kids To Clean Now & They’ll Thank You Later - November 16, 2017
- The Best Instant Pot Roast You’ll Ever Eat! - November 6, 2017