The first year with a baby always flies by and this one has been the fastest yet. So much going on and so much happened with everything Jonathan has been through. But, here we are—1 year later!
Weight: 24 lbs 6 oz
- 18 month Carter’s and 18-24 month Old Navy (primary brands in this house, always!), summer clothes included, but needing 12 month pants for his short, chubby legs!
- Just outgrew 18 month Pekkle sleepers and will soon be outgrowing 18 month Carter’s as well
- Size 4 diapers and size medium cloth diapers; doing about half and half which works well for us!
- Just when I think you are going to slow down a bit…you pick right back up. Most of your “second meals” have stopped, but boy do you love to eat!
- We made it to breastfeeding for 1 year and no formula for you. Nothing wrong with formula at all, but very thankful that we didn’t need to use any!
- You nurse in the morning, before your nap and at bedtime; if I’m not home for any feedings, you’ve done very very well without having anything
- As of my thoughts right now, I will let you wean on your own, but I will also not let you treat me like an all access buffet (which you haven’t anyway!)
- For breakfast you usually have oatmeal, but I stopped buying Heinz baby cereals as they get expensive, and you’re not too sure about cream of wheat yet!
- Still like Cheerios, but not as obsessed as before
- Drinking whole milk and water like a champ—chug, chug, chug!
- Love peanut butter toast, bananas, yogurt, any kind of pasta, any kind of meat, and most fruits and veggies
- 6:45/7:45 PM – 6:30/8:00 AM…it really depends! Generally sleeps 11+ and up to 13.5 hours at night
- For naps he has been dabbling with the idea of 1 nap per day; sometimes he’s up by 11 and just can’t won’t settle for an afternoon nap (or has a piddly 15 minute quiet period where I assume he has a brief nap!) and has 1 nap a day by accident…other times he’s slept in past 8, has played happily for a few hours in the morning, has a 2 hour nap, is up by 2 or so and handles staying up and going to bed before 7
- He still loves to cuddle and snuggle into my right shoulder before I put him down for a nap…I hope this never changes!
- He’s generally awake 3+ hours and handles it very well, unless he’s sick and then it’s about 2 hours
- He’s not a monster napper (?yet?) and generally naps 1-2 hours, very most 3 hours and that’s quite rare
- If he does have a 1 nap day, I can put him in his crib before supper for 30-45 minutes for “quiet time” and he’s been doing very well with that
- Has fallen asleep in his car seat, but generally needs to be awake for 5-6 hours before this happens
- Dancing. It’s hilarious, and cute and the best!
- Another hair cut
- Has stood independently a few times and can crouch and sit himself down—he’s got a lot of control but has no interest in standing on his own or taking steps yet
- I thought for sure he’d be our earliest walker and walk before his birthday but I’m just fine with this!
- He was dedicated on Easter Sunday; Uncle Craig & Auntie Laura are his godparents
- Language explosion and can mimick sounds really well: truck sounds, “ah! ah! ah!”, kitty, mama, dada, almost can say papa, smack his mouth open and closed
- Clapping! Just in the nick of time—I love it!
- Signing “milk” for your sippy cup of milk
- Tilts his head to the left in his high chair to flirt with us
- First time in the swing at the park and he loved it; not too sure about grass though!
- First ball cap, stole my heart!
- Another round of croup, though you aren’t as sick as the first time 2 months ago and NO EAR INFECTION!
You look intently when we do baby signs for “more”, “done”, and “please” with you, and you are so close to getting more signs. You get rigid and shake with excitement when we feed you or when you see someone that you REALLY want to see! You don’t have stranger danger and are very giving with your smiles and your laughs. You get VERY excited to see your immediate family, of course, Poppy, Grandma, Papa, Auntie Laura, you REALLY like Uncle Craig (love the goatee!) but truly, you love everyone.
I’ve been asked a few times lately if you are going to be called your full name, and you will be. Jonathan just perfectly fits you; I’ve called you Jon and Jonny a few times…it just doesn’t seem right. Since your cousin Clara first called you “Jonfin” (how unfair to give a baby a 3 syllable name with a “th” in there!), I often call you “Jon Finn” or “Jonny Finn” for fun.
We celebrated your birthday early at Easter time, it just made sense because seeding hadn’t started yet and most of our family was here to celebrate with us. It was a bit weird, for me, to celebrate before your actual birthday, but we still acknowledged and celebrated on your actual birthday too!
You seem to get a mid/end of the month head cold and I thought we escaped the April bout, but you snuck it in on about the 26th of the month. Ended up with a gross runny nose and croup again, but I’m so happy that you have not had ear infections for the last 2 months! Regardless, we see the ENT surgeon on May 16 to see what he has to say and for Braden to have his adenoidectomy follow up.
I cannot picture our lives and our family without you, Jonathan! We love you!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- Let’s Learn the Facts About Honey Bees, Not Fiction - May 23, 2017
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Tangy Pulled Pork - May 19, 2017
- Jonathan’s Cake Smash & 1 Year Photos - May 17, 2017