The birthday party items have arrived and we’re officially on the 1 month countdown to 1! He’s definitely starting the transition from baby to toddler, and we’re blessed every single moment we have with this baby. And now for the best monthly picture ever, because he finally discovered the fox sitting beside him:
Weight: 23 lbs 15 oz (that is 1 oz shy of 24 lbs…and he gained 2 lbs 10 oz in a month!)
Jonathan seems to want to gain lots of weight, and finally grew an inch taller, but he’s gaining weight faster than growing taller and that has resulted in an extra arm roll and an extra leg roll! He’s definitely not a fat baby, but man is he ever solid! His hands are still huge and his feet are getting thick and pudgy like Braden’s used to be.
- All of the 12 month clothing is officially retired, except for pants, and he’s outgrowing his 12-18 month Old Navy stuff too
- We have a problem of a long torso and short legs (like all my babies) so we are holding onto 12 month pants and rolling up the legs of 18 month pants
- Filling out size 4 diapers, but will still leak the odd time at night—I don’t get it!
- Using cloth diapers when I want to
- When is Jonathan NOT eating, is more like it. There is a reason he’s been gaining and growing so steadily!
- He nurses in the morning, before his two naps and before bed; now we are at the stage that mama can have more freedom (YES!) and if I’m not home during the day he doesn’t need a bottle for a nap, he just has a drink of whole milk and off to bed he goes, no problem
- Bottle feeding is officially done—the last bag of milk was given this week!
- At this point I was intentionally weaning my other babies to morning and bedtime nursing only…I’m just going to go with whatever Jonathan wants this time, I will let him self-wean, BUT with only those 4 nursing sessions offered—I’m not a fan of a baby or toddler of mine pawing at my shirt and wanting to comfort nurse or nurse any more than in the morning and before sleep, it’s just not for me
- I offer him lots of water throughout the day, especially when he’s sick, and he drinks 5 oz whole milk at lunch and at supper time, sometimes he doesn’t drink it all, he loves it and he’s handling it very well
- Jonathan will eat almost anything we give him, but he’s not a fan of the texture of whole peas and sometimes spits out pieces of carrot
- His favourite meal, by FAR, is chicken, rice and a veggie!
- He loves whole blueberries, which really surprises me and also loves bananas. Not quite there with strawberries and raspberries and will have some quartered grapes
- He’s a bottomless pit and sometimes has two breakfasts and suppers!
- For breakfast he is still eating baby oatmeal/cereal and has 2 handfuls of Cheerios; going to move him to cream of wheat soon, it’s less expensive!
- Lunch he usually eats peanut butter toast or a peanut butter bun with a banana or blueberries or an applesauce or yogurt if we’re out of fruit
- For supper he seems to need to eat promptly at 5 and if supper isn’t ready yet I’ll hold him off with a snack and then he eats a ‘later’ supper with the rest of us
- For the most part sleeps 6:30-7:00 PM – 6:30-7:00 AM; generally sleeping 12 hours straight through but still has the odd night of waking, nursing and going back to sleep for a couple of hours—I don’t mind…he’s the last baby
- The only times he does wake up before the 12 hour mark is because he’s sick or he’s leaked through and needs to be changed. I CANNOT change him without nursing him first, or if he’s really soaked and needs a change, I have to work at lightning speed because he cries SO LOUD and is not a happy camper if I don’t nurse him after
- Two solid naps a day still; usually naps about 2 hours after he wakes up in the morning from 9-11ish and then he stays up for about 3 hours in the afternoon and sleeps 2-4ish, but certainly not all his naps are 2 hours long; most are 1-1.5 hours
- His naps are improving a lot, the odd time he’ll have a really hard time falling asleep for a nap and then only pull a 30 minute nap because he’s overtired, but those are fewer and farther in between
- He goes through phases of having a hard time settling at night and crying to fall asleep, but it only seems to be when he’s really overtired and luckily he hasn’t done this for awhile
- He’s definitely getting his snuggle back on—yes!
- Pulling to a stand consistently—anywhere and everywhere
- Can get down from standing up…most places, but still whines and gets upset if he can’t get down
- Standing up in his crib, luckily he can get back down on his own
- Loves to walk with Jay’s help, he’s getting faster and faster
- Has taken a couple of steps with the push walker but I am NOT in a hurry to get him walking yet (will be nice to have him walking this summer though!)
- Got another ear infection, BUT was able to fight if off on his own. He never did get a fever or irritability, I just took him to the clinic after a pretty restless night of sleep and catching him scratching his right ear. Doctor said it was red, but no fluid or bulging, so she wrote a prescription for antibiotics and told me to give it only if he got a fever or became very irritable. So happy we didn’t need to give them, we see ENT in May to address his ear infections and I’d be so happy if he just outgrew them and didn’t need another surgery
- He can do “so big!” and raise his hands above his head but he won’t clap! I want him to clap so badly!
- We are working on baby sign with him “more” and “done” but he’s not quite there yet
- He said “mama” intentionally to me when I got him up one morning! He’s been babbling “mamamama!”, “dadadada!” and “nomnomnom!” for awhile, but now he knows who me and Jay are and where his “nom nom chair” is when he’s hungry
- He says “kitty” when he sees the cats, sounds like “tee-tee”
- Can imitate facial expressions and sounds—fart noise (for better lack of a term!) and says “ahhh ahhh ahhh!” after I say it
- Had his 2nd hair cut
- Just this week started walking with his walker and he is SO proud of himself
- Still won’t clap! Why won’t you clap, I love baby claps!
I’m eager to see what Dr. Mehta says when we see him April 24 for what will be Jonathan’s annual neurosurgery follow up. I feel like his head has regressed a bit, as we knew it would, but I’d like to know his CVI measurements. He still has some soft spot open on the top, I assume this is a good thing! Some photos he still looks “sagittal” to me, but I am also always going to be probably the only one who will notice these things. Man, does this child ever beat himself up! He cried twice yesterday from closed head injuries…he should still have his helmet, ironically!
He is STILL drooling like crazy. I really wish he would stop, because he still needs to wear a bib most of the time and it’s so unsightly! He’s been puking or drooling non-stop since birth! Oh well. 1 more until 1!