It’s been a fun and busy first month of the year, looking forward to a much slower February. This guy has changed and learned so much!
Weight: 20 lbs 4 oz
- 12 month Carter’s, 12-18 month Old Navy
- On the verge of outgrowing size 3 diapers and leaking from them at night, just started wearing size 4 at night and they fit just fine!
- Size medium cloth, I finally stripped them and disinfected them and they are smelling and looking great! Just wearing them during the day at home
- Haven’t even tried to wean from breastfeeding at this point like with the others; I’m making less anyway, so I don’t want to completely tank my supply
- He nurses when he wakes up and before every nap and at bedtime, so 4-6 times per day
- I started pumping again in the morning before he wakes up if he has a 11 or 12 hour stretch so I can have a bit of a ‘freedom stash’ again – I was down to only 20 oz frozen!
- His latch has gotten slightly better but he still mostly thinks I’m a straw
- He is still madly in love with purées and mostly only eats orange foods simply because it’s what I always have and it’s easy: butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, apples and chicken or pork are his staples
- New foods introduced: yogurt, blueberries, blackberries, mommy’s homemade buns, spaghetti, peanut butter toast, small pieces of burger & pizza – not ready for this wouldn’t chew and swallow, multi-grain Cheerios – LOVES is a fave – but I’ve learned he can’t have too many, they make his poops hard to pass and give him a tummy ache
- I got ‘brave’ and introduced peanut butter on toast and he LOVES it!
- He is in the bottomless pit stage of eating, but his tummy can’t quite handle it. He’s always happiest when he’s eating but he gets gassy and crampy (I assume) when he’s had too much
- Put him on probiotics to see if it helps; he’s been a bit more spitty if he eats too much
- He LOVES his water in a sippy cup and can mostly drink it by himself; have to cut him off or he’ll fill up on water!
- He’s still not ready to eat what we eat, I made a chicken/rice/veggie dish for us last week and cut it up really small for him; he eats it but he definitely isn’t as excited about it and isn’t quite ready for that texture yet, but at least he wasn’t gagging like he was last month with minced food!
- 10-12 hours per night, up to 12.5 hours! His night sleep is very cyclical: 3 nights of 10ish hours sleep, eat, go back to bed for 1.5-2 hours; 3 nights of 11-12+ hours sleep and up for the day
- Napping generally 3 times a day – 45 minutes – 1 hour is his norm, sometimes he pulls a 1.5 hour nap and if he has a big 2+ hour nap, generally he’ll only have 2 naps per day, happens a couple times a week
- Bedtime is anywhere from 6:30 – 7:30 depending on how many naps he’s had and when he actually settles and falls asleep
- Going through a fussy period before he falls asleep and settles because he’s desperately learning how to crawl, and as we know, milestones almost always cause sleep disruption
- Will nap in the car seat 25 – 45 minutes when he’s tired
- Now mama knows 100% for sure that when Jonathan’s sleep is broken and super disrupted: ear infection coming!
- Will still fall asleep and nap on me if sick
- Started sleeping on his tummy
- Super duper close to crawling for the last month! He can plank, get his knees up, get on his hands and knees, go on his side, turn around on his tummy, and rock back and forth…but he just can’t figure out how to move his arms forward in any fashion to army crawl or ‘normal’ crawl. It’s frustrating for him and for us, he just “Supermans” when he gets mad and can’t move!
- Went to Edmonton to participate in the Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation Radiothon and had a little interview to share his story
- Unfortunately had his 3rd double ear infection with both ear drums rupturing AGAIN; this one was back-to-back from the one he had over Christmas, he didn’t even have a week break and was so sick and uncomfortable with this one
- First walk and sled ride outside – sad, I know…but he really enjoyed it. It’s always so windy here and hard to take a baby outside!
- Can transfer from sitting to his tummy very seamlessly and can almost go from lying on his back, onto his side and right up to sitting!
- Just found out today he cut another tooth – his right lateral incisor (that’s tooth #5) and I can see the canine teeth slowly coming down – pretty impressive, I didn’t even know he was teething!
Jonathan is just such a delight. He’s a happy, happy baby and resembles his big brother Braden at this age with his looks SO MUCH! We want him to crawl so badly so that he doesn’t need to be frustrated so much…but then I also know things are bound to be all the more busy around here! He’s adjusted very well to not having his helmet and I’ve let go of my fears of regression and put my faith all the more into the process. His head is still looking amazing to me, first month out of his helmet.
I’ve made an appointment for Jonathan tomorrow to get the ball rolling for an ENT consult to the same surgeon who took care of Ethan and Braden. I spoke with him on the day of Braden’s adenoidectomy briefly about Jonathan’s history with 3 double ear infections in 3 months and he said he would definitely see him; off for a consult we go. I pray that Jonathan will just outgrow these nasty ear infections, but I want the process started regardless if he needs surgery for ear tubes. Also made an appointment for Jonathan’s fist hair cut…his wings and the back is getting out of control (and giving me no curls!).
Jonathan is the snuggliest baby ever and I cherish it soooooooo much! When he’s ready for a nap he snuggles his head into my right shoulder and I bounce and pat his back and he sings to me. He’s got the best giggle, he loves to play with faces and is still oh so ticklish!
I’m not normally one to rush things…but I sure hope this dude starts crawling soon! I’m flying solo this week with Jay in Edmonton for Farm Tech and it would be nice to show off his new skills to daddy when he gets home! And that look, right there…I might as well hand the world to him on silver platter with that look!