The boy who made me a mom is now seven years old today. S-E-V-E-N. Seven seems like a pretty big number…and it’s making me feel old that I have a 7 year old now! He’s really a great kid, and I’ll tell you more about him.
Braden at 7:
- Weight: 45 lbs (gained 3+ lbs in a year)
- Height: 47¾” (+1¾” in a year)
- Size 13 shoes
- He’s always been a skinny guy with absolutely no meat on his bones, but he’s still growing well
- Sleeps 7:30/8:00 – 6:00 AM – I need to put him to bed later so he sleeps in a bit more…but it seems he needs to go to bed at that time or he starts to fall apart
- He’s less and less interested in needing and wanting the blankie he’s had since he was a baby, but it still lives in bed with him and he does love to have a stuffie with him
- He still rides in a 5-point harness Britax Frontier in my truck and uses his high-back booster when he’s in Jay’s truck
- He had his adenoids removed on January 16 and healed well and can breathe through his nose again!
- His speech dramatically improved with the surgery and he doesn’t sound congested at all; I used to be called “Mumb” and now I’m “Mom” again – hallelujah! He still lisps his “s” sounds but that’s the only speech problem he has now
- Braden did really well with his surgery, he went back to the OR and did recovery room all by himself and he was happy to see me after. He was very emotional and teary after, but once he fully woke up and knew we could go home in 2 hours – he did absolutely awesome, so proud of him!
- Doing really, really well in grade 1. He’s reading books on his own now and it blows me away! He really loves reading, math and science
- Had his annual eye exam and his prescription hasn’t changed but his vision is improving, if that makes any sense. His optometrist was very happy with him
- He’s grown up a lot and is very independent now; the only thing he still hesitates doing is zipping up his darn hoodies but I’ve told him if he can’t do them up he doesn’t get to wear them – sometimes he isn’t patient and doesn’t give himself the time he needs to do it properly!
- Doing awesome in Tykes hockey, I’d say he’s in the top 3 strong players on his team and I hope he does well in Novice next year
- Really loves skiing, has only been out once this year
- Can pretty much swim independently, but needs lessons – poor, neglected oldest child with a baby brother! But he will get them in school this year
- Last year of CanSkate, but he’s doing SO WELL and it continues to help him so so much, he’s an awesome little skater! He can do crossovers, bubbles, turns, skates backwards really well
- His favourite TV shows are PJ Masks, Lion Guard, The Magic School Bus
- His favourite movies are the Harry Potter series (up until the 4th movie!), Pirates of the Caribbean series
- Braden loves his vegetables and still always eats them first, he will also eat pretty much anything we give him (although sometimes hesitantly!)
- He really loves Lego still, and that’s pretty much all he wanted for Christmas and for his birthday
- He truly loves school and his teacher too, he’s fast to finish his work and very smart, but he gets a little social and chitty chatty at lunch though!
- Has lost his bottom 2 teeth and his top 2 are wiggly now; he’s in the “they’ll come out when they come out” camp and will NOT wiggle them!
Braden doesn’t like to miss school, so when Jay asked if he wanted to go skiing on Friday, he was definitely hesitant to go because he doesn’t like missing out on things! He’s a really bright student and he’s made our life as parents an easy transition into full time school. He’s becoming a really good reader and loves to read Jonathan books at bedtime with me. He has an interest in science and is getting to be good at math.
Since he’s the oldest in his class, I feel it’s helped him handle his busy schedule well. He has hockey practice and skating once each per week at usually at least 1 hockey game per weekend. It hit him at the beginning of December and he was very teary that his twin cousins got to have Lego for their birthday and he didn’t have any Lego for such a long time! I guess that’s a downside of having your birthday one month after Christmas. Oh well! He can be a very sensitive kid and even more so emotional when he gets overtired, just like his mama.
He had a lot of fun taking 2 friends to the movies for his birthday and having a pizza party with cake after and staying up really late!
Happy 7, Braden! We love you!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- I’m a Nurse and I Don’t Like Giving You Health Advice - February 13, 2019
- Potty Training the Last Child - January 23, 2019
- Curly Girl Method | 1 Month Update - December 25, 2018