What a great way to end the year with this little fella turning 8 months old. The most significant thing about Jonathan turning 8 months old is that he officially graduates from his helmet today, YAY!!!!
Weight: 19 lbs 3 oz
I was super happy with how his head looked last month, happier when we saw Dr. Mehta, our neurosurgeon, on December 12, but also was happy to follow his orders to helmet Jonathan until today.
- He’s in all 12 month clothing now and is actually close to outgrowing the 12 month jammies
- Almost outgrown size 3 diapers and here I am, another month later, still having no interest in cloth diapers…all the smalls are outgrown and ready to be sold!
- My supply really leveled off and I got my cycle back in the middle of the month (BOO!). I truly believe it’s because I had an infection going on and my body was reacting to the infection; that, and the fact that Jonathan’s latch has gotten even worse with his helmet and ear infections – it’s just not deep like it needs to be
- He grabs and pinches when he eats and pushes against my chest and arches back. It’s really weird and awkward and has resulted in him using me like a straw (ouch) and I have a little blister on my right side – lovely; this has resolved and his latch has improved towards the end of the month
- As far as solid foods go, he would jump for joy every time he sees his bowl full of food approaching him as he eagerly awaits in the high chair
- He “mmm! Mmmm!!!!’s ” with excitement and thoroughly loves his food – purées for him
- We gave him a piece of cooked, whole broccoli and he didn’t like it, he’s not ready for chunkier textures, he gags a bit and can’t quite handle it
- In addition to the foods he had last month, this month he also had chicken, carrots, turkey, beef, kiwi, potatoes and peas; has tolerated soft chunks of fruit (kiwi and banana) but didn’t do the best with a more chunky textured supper of mashed up Salisbury steak/potatoes and peas! Just not there yet
- He loves to sit in his high chair and eat puffs and rice rusks. His hand-eye coordination has improved so much and he’s sure working on his pincer grasp and fine motor skills are amazing!
- 10-12 hours per night; often gets up at the 10 hour mark, eats, and goes back to sleep which I find more than acceptable
- His sleep got all wonky again, he was very very unsettled and up every 1.5 – 3 hours for 5 nights in a row; one afternoon he woke up hot and just so fussy and irritable after a nap and I knew immediately an ear infection was brewing
- From now on when his sleep goes crazy like that, I’m going to take him in to get his ears checked – it’s happened twice now!
- Napping 3 times a day; usually 55 minutes – 1 hour 30 minutes at the most and has definitely has bouts of 25 minute naps!
- Still will sleep in the car seat, starting to only do this when really tired and when it’s just us traveling
- NO MORE HELMET!!!!
- Got his top 2 teeth halfway through the month! Actually, his teething threw me off as that happened and then suddenly his sleep went off, I assumed it was from teething. He’s actually an amazing teether so far.
- Sits very well on his own now, he just kept lunging forward or to the side for things!
- He drools more and more every day and his bibs need bibs he soaks them so fast!
- I’m finally getting control of his eczema, especially on his cheeks using Lansinoh lanolin – only thing that has worked!
- First Christmas and he seemed thoroughly happy and enjoyed taking it all in
- Polar Express ride – did SO good and even slept on the train on me for about a half an hour
- Loves to make “motorboat” sounds and spit out bubbles
- He wants to creep/crawl SO BAD but he just gets frustrated. He reaches forward as far as he can and curls his toes into the carpet and just isn’t there yet!
Jonathan is a snuggly little guy, and it makes my mama heart so happy! After he nurses and gets a burp before a nap or bedtime, he turns his head to the left, places his head in the crook of my right shoulder and snuggles right in. I so enjoy singing him songs and bouncing him while we snuggle like I used to have to do to get him to sleep before. It’s nice that he will snuggle into me and fall asleep if we have no other choice too. He did this on the Polar Express ride with my family and also one morning at the clinic for one of our various trips for things. Let it be known that Ciprodex ear drops do NOT work for him!! This is the 2nd time I’ve had to go back to the clinic/another doctor for oral antibiotics and wasted 2 days of treatment and pain/misery for him. Live and learn 🙁
Part of his snuggly nature is also really analyzing and taking things in. If you let him get close enough to your face, he’ll take his giant mitts and paw your face and feel your cheeks, ears, hair…anything he get get a hold of. He still sings himself to sleep and I don’t want him to stop; it’s one of the sweetest things! He also still loves the cats and the dog, he tracks them around the room.
It’s been a wonderful 8 months of having Jonathan in our lives. Now we get to enjoy a new chapter without all these medical appointments and driving 7+ hours round-trip to Edmonton every 2 weeks!