Already a half of a year with this amazing, strong and brave little man! Surprisingly few people ask me if I wish we had a girl instead of a 3rd little boy…and I cannot tell you how happy I still am to have this precious boy as our 3rd. I mean, there’s something about a little baby boy in a plaid shirt and overalls that just gets me every time. (See below!)
Weight: 17 lbs 4 oz
Head: 45 cm
I sure feel like I see a huge improvement in his head shape this month, even if it is slightly different angles!
- Not much change: Carter’s 9 month, soon to be 12, and Old Navy 6-12 month clothing, Pekkle 12 month sleepers (WHAT!)
- Getting more use out of his cloth diapers but size small are almost too small now and I have leaking issues (build up?) so I’m really using them sparingly
- Size 3 disposables
- 7:30-8:00 PM bedtime and almost always sleeps 11-12 hours. Sometimes he’ll sleep 9.5-10 hours and eat and then another 1-3 hours
- For a week his sleep really suffered, his longest stretch was only 1.5-3 hours (read more below), he worked his way up and slept in 6 hour stretches and was up to 8 hours after a week and then back to STTN by night 8
- For the most part he’s actually having 3 good naps a day now. Usually 1 hour, 2ish hours, and another hour long nap or so vs having 4 or 5 hour long naps a day
- He’s tolerating staying up longer in between his naps now
- Still sleeping in his car seat really, really well. In fact, sleeping longer – up to 2 hours!
- 6 months of nothing but breast milk for this guy! I’m proud of us that we made it, but he’s so ready for solids! At least I think he is!
- I’ve got lots of stuff ready in the freezer for him to try: sweet potatoes, BC peaches from the summer and BC apples from this fall and some pork with apples too
- He suddenly has decided he wants to take a bottle again! He actually did better with a straw sippy cup one time, now he will take a bottle again.
- I can really feel my supply leveling off and Jonathan handling everything well – I don’t even need to pump anymore in the morning after a full 11-12 hours of not feeding him
- I only leak in the morning during the first feeding
- NO MORE SPITTING UP. It’s like suddenly God turned off the puke button on Jonathan. He never ever pukes anymore. Maybe just a tiny spit now and again, but it was really weird how suddenly he stopped spitting up! He is, however, the drooliest baby so we’re still slaves to lots and lots of bibs!
- 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding! I think he’s ready, and has been for a couple of weeks, to start solids but it meant a lot to me to hit this goal/milestone again. He starts solids today!
- First fever 🙁 I knew something was wrong in the middle of the month when he just wouldn’t settle into his nighttime sleep. Jonathan has been a great, predictable nighttime sleeper since about 8 weeks old but he was so restless, hot and sweaty. Me being up all night with or worried about him, he finally spiked a fever at 6AM. The fever went away and his temp stayed at 37, but he was so hot to touch, especially his head so I kept it off all day.
- This also eventually led to first ER visit in the middle of the night in an act of desperation, to a clinic visit the next day where he finally was diagnosed with a right ear infection. Started on ear drops but then in the middle of the night his ear drum ruptured (I assume) and drained a LOT of fluid and his fever/hotness finally broke and he was MUCH happier
- Rolling over in his helmet. He can and has been rolling back-to-front and front-to-back for months now, but has had a harder time with his helmet. Even still, he doesn’t really roll around too much
- Sitting up with support. His brothers were the same – couldn’t quite master sitting unassisted by 6 months, but in the next month he’ll be a master! He is so strong and he’s getting the hang of it more and more every day
- He absolutely loves animals and has started noticing them now. He’ll track the cats across the room and just smiles and smiles when I bring a cat over or the dog comes to say hi and give him a kiss
- Halfway through his helmet therapy! I’m so so proud of him, he’s done so well and it will be off by Christmas!
- He loves to feel things – our faces, Jay and Uncle Craig’s beards particularly, his car seat (I love how he props his elbow up and just lounges in there too!), his toys, the cats
- Babbling all the time, especially in evenings “DADADADADA!!!!!!!!!” Also loves to coo and gurgle in his throat
- First day away from mommy so I could be with Ethan for his surgery – Jonathan did really well with Daddy and bottles
I’m just in awe of this brave and happy little dude. People look at him wearing his helmet and feel sorry for him and for me, but I sure don’t. Though these photos were taken without his helmet (just waiting for something in the mail to take helmet photos!), it really is a part of him. I still am very excited to be done, mostly so I don’t have to drive to Edmonton every 2 weeks, but it’s not bad at all, it really isn’t. We’re already over half way done and if all goes as planned, we will be done before Christmas – what a blessing!
I thought Jonathan would hit milestones earlier than his brothers, but he’s right on par. His helmet is actually pretty heavy, so he can sit unassisted for very short periods and he’s doing pretty good with support – both Braden and Ethan couldn’t sit unassisted closer to 7 months. He’s keen on moving and scooting around on his tummy, but again – the helmet is a bit heavy and he can’t hold his head up as long with it on. I see other babies his exact age that have been sitting for a month and that are even crawling and standing with support, and though it’s hard not to compare, I know he’s developing and thriving just fine.
As Auntie Laura and I were talking about – we’re approaching the Golden Age of babyhood. About 6 months – 14 months give or take, where they’re happy because they eat, nap, sleep and are learning so many new things but are still too young to really get into trouble! I just adore it!
These photos don’t lie – he’s just a joy and a delight and we’re so happy we decided to have that third baby after all! We sure love you, Jonathan!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- Currently - August 14, 2017
- I Don’t Have Go-With-the-Flow Babies, And That’s Okay - August 5, 2017
- Jonathan is 15 Months Old! - July 30, 2017