The month of September has come and gone with a stop-and-start harvest due to weather delays and/or the crops not being ready. Jonathan and I have gone to Edmonton twice for our biweekly helmet appointments and the guys have ~25% left of harvest. How does he look smaller at 5 months? Perhaps he’s hit his plateau!
Weight: 17 lbs 2 oz
Length: 26 1/4″
- I’m hanging onto some 6 month onesies & pants while it’s still warm enough, but they’re pretty snug!
- In all 9 month Carter’s clothes & cotton PJ’s otherwise (Old Navy 6-12 months with room to grow)
- Upgraded to size 3 disposable diapers but having blowouts with almost EVERY poop
- Wearing his size small cloth diapers at home, but not for naps because they leak every.single.time….I gotta tell you cloth is hard with this guy!
- Definitely slowing down; if he’s not hungry and I offer to feed him…he will BITE and it is NOT cool; luckily he has stopped this!
- Eats well on both sides when he is hungry (my mastitis never got worse and cleared up nicely)
- His latch has definitely changed since he got his helmet; it doesn’t hurt or bother me, but it’s not as deep and I pray it just works for us and I don’t get mastitis again!
- Generally eats before every nap, ~every 2.5 hours
- 5 months of exclusively breastfeeding; will do 1 more and then introduce solids which I think he’ll love!
- Pooping has really slowed down, only goes every 2-4 days now
- JONATHAN IS SLEEP TRAINED! CAN YOU TELL I’M EXCITED ABOUT IT A LITTLE BIT!?!?!?
- I feel like I can conquer the world, most days, because I have SO MUCH FREE TIME now that this baby doesn’t nap on me! Seriously! It was at least a 20 minute ordeal to get him to eat (sometimes would have to convince him of this with bouncing and walking around) and then he’d only nap about 25-45 minutes. I could NOT put him down in his crib to finish a nap. Rarely, rarely, rarely!
- Now he lays down to sleep drowsy and he’s still working on settling himself more efficiently. Sometimes it’s >30 minutes it takes for him to settle, sometimes I don’t hear a peep and it’s <5 mins
- He doesn’t really have a ‘self-soothing’ method. He chews on his thumb a bit, but usually he just tires out and sings himself to sleep (it’s just the sweetest thing!), but it works, eventually!
- Still sleeping in his DockATot, I’m sure it will be a bit of an adjustment for him when I feel he’s outgrown it
- He grabbed a burp cloth off my shoulder when I laid him down yesterday so I’ve been giving him one of those to go to bed with
- I found him on the monitor with it over his face, just like his brothers! He needs to get used to having the skills to pull it off, I’m keeping a close eye on him!
- His naps are almost always 45 minutes, 55 minutes and not often longer than 1 hour 5 minutes; which is a HUGE improvement from his 25 minute naps but he still needs to work on having fewer, longer naps – takes 4 or 5 naps a day, needs to take about 3 longer naps a day, but we’ll get there
- If he has a shorter night sleep of 9-1o hours, he’ll eat and go right back down for 2-3 hours
- His longest nap so far has been 1 hour 45 minutes; I have to keep in mind he’s been sleep trained for only 3 weeks and he has a lot to learn still!
- He’s still napping great in the car seat, but only 35 minutes at a time. We will still be going to Edmonton every 2 weeks for appointments and I wish he’d sleep longer but I’m glad he does at all
- Sleep trained! Sleeping 11-12 hours per night and settles self back to sleep if needed, putting himself to bed for all his naps!
- LOVES the Jumperoo Auntie Laura brought over for him & still loves Jolly Jumping too
- Helping him learn to sit independently; not folding over all the time like he used to…just most of the time!
- Passionately in love with Sophie the Giraffe, she’s the only teether he can hold and use independently
- First combine ride
- He looooooooves singing! “5 Little Monkeys” is his fave and it calms him down instantly
- Rolling well without the helmet on and can’t quite do it with his helmet
- Donated milk to the NorthernStar Mothers’ Milk Bank for the first time!
- Wakes up happy and talks to himself for 10-15 minutes before I go get him and says “ha, heh, ha” etc. to me back and forth…very cute!
- Uses his feet like hands, like a monkey! Successfully grabbed his car seat tether the other day, incredibly cute!
- Looooves his feet and to eat them
I’ve been a tad worried about his helmet the last few days. I always check for new red spot which indicate pressure, and I noticed one on the very top of his head on the border of his helmet. It almost appears as if his head is growing up and over the helmet slightly and I’m eager to get him checked out on Monday. We go have a helmet adjustment first, and then see the surgeon right after. I can really tell that his head is starting to fill out from the bottom up. Over his ears it is definitely wider and it just needs to fill out above there and I’d be totally happy with his head shape!
He’s got little blond hairs starting to stick up and over his helmet and it’s very cute. His poor poor skin is just awful. I’ve gotten control of the eczema on his ankles and legs, though he’ll still scratch at them a little bit, but his scalp can get quite bad. He’s got cradle cap right in the middle of his head and another patch near his front hairline. On top of that, he gets eczema on his head and if I don’t keep on top of cutting his nails he’ll scratch the top/open areas that he can reach.
He is a drool machine! My other boys really didn’t drool to the extent that Jonathan does. It’s so bad he even gets a drool rash on his cheeks/neck/chest! His spitting up has virtually stopped, the odd normal little one, the odd huge fountain ones, but nothing like he used to be. Unfortunate thing is his need for bibs is still very real with all the drool. I don’t see anymore teeth buds!
He loves people and he’s a super happy and content baby and doesn’t make strange with people – only if he’s really tired and needs a nap and is startled.
He’s also got him some really big paws and feet! Doesn’t his head look so much better and more round? WOW! Next month he’s 1/2 a year old!!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- Currently - August 14, 2017
- I Don’t Have Go-With-the-Flow Babies, And That’s Okay - August 5, 2017
- Jonathan is 15 Months Old! - July 30, 2017