I have to say it was bittersweet to type that title! My last baby is already 1 month old!? It’s June in 2 days? Okay, I guess life isn’t going to slow down more for us then! Also, look at these photos! Blows my mind how babies grow so fast in the first few months! He’s slowly starting to lose the hair on the top of his head, the little fuzzies are falling out 🙁
Weight: 11 lbs (2 lbs 5 oz gain from birth)
So, in point form, here is where we’re at with Jonathan:
- Really nowhere near any semblance of a routine yet, every single day is different!
- I have noticed that the first few days of life and at 3 weeks, he had 2-3 fussy days in a row which is directly correlated to growth spurts and I have deduced
- He’s been a hard little dude at times to figure out, I feel like we’re still learning each other, but we’re definitely getting there
- He usually has a good 2-3 hour nap in the morning, however the time really varies; this allows me to get some computer work done and enjoy my coffee
- He also usually has a wakeful period of about 45 minutes – 1 hour either his last stretch of night sleep before his morning nap, or after his morning nap…all depends on when he “gets up”
- He seems to have a “witching hour(s)” at some point every day and it lasts almost 3 hours exactly
- Some days he sleeps all day really, really well…others it’s a struggle to get him down for all his naps!
- The first 2 weeks I slept on the couch with him at night, it was the best/only way for me to get any sleep
- His longest night stretch has been 5.5 hours (which was sleeping on me on the couch) and he’s done a 5.5 hour stretch in the swing this past week and has done a 4 hour stretch in the crib as well
- To have a successful crib sleep, he needs to be burped first and TOTALLY out or if I lay him down (even with a small wedge under his mattress to put him on a slight incline) he will spit up and often wake up
- He still wears some newborn sleepers, but all my favourite Carter’s sleepers and outfits in newborn size have been retired 🙁
- He’s in 0-3 month sleepers, but the pants (the odd time I put him in an outfit!) are too long
- I only had him in newborn extra small cloth diapers for about 5 days because he is such a heavy wetter that he soaks through them, even though they fit him well with room to grow
- He’s been in size 1 disposables since 2 weeks old because he was leaking through newborn disposables too!
- Hoping that he will be able to get good use out of my size small cloth diapers and that they absorb enough!
- In the day every 1.5 – 3 hours and at night usually every 3 – 4 hours
- I have, yet again, oversupply and a forceful letdown and I’m trying some things to help him cope and hopefully stop spitting so much, like his brothers before him!
- Other than spitting, he’s an excellent nurser with a great latch
- I truly wish he would take a pacifier/soother because he wants to suck but doesn’t want to eat, which gets very tricky for us!
It’s definitely taken a lot longer getting to ‘know’ Jonathan. He was inconsolably fussy at night for the first 2 nights at home and he’d scream for hours straight. In hindsight, I think it’s just taken him longer to get used to his new outside world and for me to get to know him. I’ve also noticed that he gets fussy when he’s having a growth spurt but has become more “typical newborn-like” (to me) in that he will sleep and can be passed around for snuggles from family and friends and sleep in noisy rooms and then eat and sleep and eat and sleep.
He’s had a lot of very content and happy wake times, but from the minute he was born he goes from 0 to 60 like a switch flips and then suddenly he’s ANGRY and can be inconsolable at times. I’ve had to work hard figuring out how to calm him down, and I would definitely say he’s more of a high-maintenance baby when he’s in these states; often preferring me to stand and sway while I attempt to nurse him to calm him down. I’ve said since he was born that if he could ever figure out how to suck his thumb he’d be a really happy guy. I can tell he wants to pacify, but will only take a soother for 30 seconds tops (and this has only happened twice!) and he won’t suck on the tip of my pinky finger anymore like when he was brand new. He wants to use me to pacify, but also knows that if he uses me (which I’m fine with!) then he’ll get another meal which in turn probably causes an upset tummy and more fussiness.
I’m finding after his wakeful periods, he’ll start getting tired/fussy at 45 minutes so I’ll take him to change him and put him down, but he’s usually not ready or wanting to eat at this point so then he fusses for a good hour until he’s settled and hungry enough to eat. In the baby books I read before I had Braden a lot encouraged the eat-play-sleep routine…but how do you get a breastfed baby to sleep without nursing him to sleep? Someone, tell me and I’ll do it! It never worked for Braden and Ethan because after they had their wake/play time they needed to and wanted to eat and always went back to sleep without a fuss.
He is an excellent car seat sleeper and I can successfully transfer him from sleeping to the car seat to get where we need to go, and I’m very thankful for that. The few grocery trips I’ve done with him he also happily sleeps in his car seat and does the same when we’re at big brothers’ soccer games. Well, except during his 3 week growth spurt last week when I got my upper body workout in by swinging his car seat back and forth for 45 minutes during Ethan’s soccer game! Oy.
I love this baby to bits, I truly do. I don’t want to will this precious time away, but I’m also praying that he outgrows these fussy periods and that we can “figure each other out”. I’m going to write a blog post elaborating, but I will also kindly suggest — don’t ask me if he’s a “good” baby. He’s a great baby, he’s an amazing baby…but in all honesty, he’s also a hard baby and sometimes I just don’t want to talk to you about the hard times we’re having. (Note: I also hated it when people asked me if my other babies were “good” babies and on all accounts they were the “good” kind of baby people were inquiring about).
P.S. Be sure to check out Jonathan’s newborn photos in our photographer’s blog post here and watch the slideshow at the end with an original song she wrote and sang just for Jonathan!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- I Want to be a Disney Social Media Mom - February 22, 2017
- Currently - February 18, 2017
- Who Cares if It’s Perfect? TAKE THE PHOTO AND POST IT! - February 11, 2017