As I was typing in the title for this pregnancy update post, I almost typed in “32” again and sat in a moment of disbelief that I’m 34 weeks pregnant for the 3rd time. Ever since I hit the 30 week milestone the weeks have been just flying by at warp speed. I’ve had some high-flying emotions this week, so let me just lay that all out for you here… (in warning!) Also, how can I look at myself in the mirror and not see the obvious pregnancy fat face I see in my photos? Sigh. Pregnancy…it’s so glamorous!
Things since 32 weeks:
- Worked two more 8 hour night shifts and one was run-off-my-feet, no-breaks busy (again) and one was a nice, steady, much quieter shift. I’ll take the latter please. It’s taking me a good 2-3 days to recover from these night shifts and I’m highly considering canceling one or both of my last 2 shifts next weekend, I am just so done with work, but I’ll see how I feel early next week
- The thing about work that’s bothering me the most is the lack of sleep before and after the night shift, it makes me emotional on a good day, never mind adding pregnancy hormones on top of it all!
- I feel like one, huge Braxton-Hicks contraction. Any amount of physical activity, even walking, sets off contractions. These are NOT painful, they are just tightenings and I’m hoping that there will be some payoff during labour that my uterus has been “working out” and preparing for that day! Housework, stairs, vacuuming, etc. are the worst triggers for BH and it’s just really uncomfortable sometimes.
- Sacral-iliac (SI) joint pain is settling in more regularly, but my sciatic pain has been kept more at bay, but it’s still there
- I’ve been having lots of bouts of cervical pain. One time I was talking to Jay and I literally gasped in shock and pain and it stopped me in my tracks. I had to lean forward to move baby off my cervix, it felt like zings of lightening from the inside. I later Googled this that night about “internal” cervical pain, and on one pregnancy message board a pregnant mom described it as “being stabbed with a knitting needle from the inside”, and I was like YES! That’s EXACTLY what it feels like. Apparently it’s normal…oh the joys. Again, I hope this will help somehow during labor and dilation!
- Quite short of breath, even with the littlest things lately!
- I’m getting a bit worried that we cannot decide on a boy name, which surely means we’re having another boy. I heard a boy name that I finally got excited about and fell in love with. It goes great with Braden and Ethan…but Jay isn’t sold 🙁 so back to square 1 or pray that he warms up to it
- We have multiple girl names we like, we just need to agree and firmly decide on one before labour (I’m not the type of mom that goes by the “see the baby, name the baby, the baby looks like a _____” rule). I’m too Type A and this needs to be decided before
- I’m outgrowing all of my shirts already. My belly isn’t measuring big, I just have such a long torso that I’m down to a few shirts that actually fit and look nice, I feel like my belly is bigger or I’m carrying different this time
- I have gotten the boys clothes organized. Their closet was piling up with too many outgrown clothes so I’ve gotten them organized in their respective bins and I’ve even got their summer clothes up and organized so I don’t have to worry about that in a few months
- I organized and cleaned baby’s room today! I want the diaper bag and my overnight bag packed by 35 weeks and the car seat installed so we’re ready to rock and roll and I’m not scrambling like last time when I suddenly and surprisingly went into labour in the 37th week and virtually had NOTHING done in preparation!
This could probably be a whole other post in itself, and maybe I’ll elaborate in a separate post, but how did women have children upon children upon children “back in the day”, or even present day? I’m almost certain that this 3rd baby is the last one and these final weeks of pregnancy are sealing the deal for me. I’m turning 33 next weekend, which isn’t terribly old (by my standards) but I feel “old” right now and my body is really feeling the strains of pregnancy this time. I’m not miserable, I generally do pregnancy well, but I’m still feeling “done” a lot sooner than I’d like. I generally do not like, nor want to, complain about pregnancy because I know that deep down every day baby has to grow is a blessing. I’ve seen far too many preemie babies on social media and would never wish to be done pregnancy early and face the challenges that preemie babies and parents face. There’s parts of pregnancy that I love so much, but my love of pregnancy is dwindling as the days go by.
I can definitely say, reading pregnancy posts with Ethan, that I’m ready to be done sooner with this one than I was with him!
However, I do love feeling this baby move inside, s/he is a very rolly and pokey baby — I feel foot movements up in my ribs and little hands jabbing me in my on my sides and all the way down to my groin. Every day that passes I cannot wait to see who this little baby is growing to be. I’m still trying to have a very ignorant view and expectations of our upcoming labor and delivery, but I still have moments of anxiety. Praying that God will take those fears and anxieties away and help me focus on the joy of bringing a new life into the world instead. Worrying does me no good, and this I know….I blame it on the hormones and lack of sleep!
The hormones are running wild in this pregnancy update…can you tell!? #AllTheEmotions
P.S. My cousin Melissa had a little girl, Halle, and my maid-of-honor and nursing friend Keri also had a little girl, Makenna, today. Congrats girls, so happy for you both!
P.P.S. Don’t forget to play our baby pool!