I had the amazing opportunity of joining some food and agriculture bloggers on the TASTE15 blog tour hosted by Best Food Facts. You may have already read about some of my experiences when we went to California and visited a strawberry farm and a large dairy farm, we also went to Arkansas at the July and in October we ended our tour in Chicago which was a lot of fun experiencing corn harvest! I love the idea of bringing agriculture and food bloggers together, because we are all very passionate about food — but have very different perspectives and relationships with our food. Some of us raise it and eat the food that we grow, others are expressive with the love of food in their kitchens.
I was happy to have the oppotunity to interview a lovely food blogger named Krista who writes the food blog Joyful Healthy Eats. She lives in Texas with her husband and young son and I had a wonderful time getting to know Krista.
It was evident when I met you, and also by reading your blog, that you have a passion and love for food and your family. Why did you start your blog that focuses on food?
Krista: I have always loved making food and eating it… 🙂 Growing up my mom and I use to hide out in the kitchen and make stuff, it was my favorite time with her. I love the immediate satisfaction of creating something and then trying it right away. I’m not crafty at ALL so a DIY blog was not for me. But food.. that I can do. My heart, when starting my blog JoyfulHealthyEats.com, was to feed peoples tummies with delicious easy healthy recipes and their souls with encouraging uplifting stories. I share my story, my life, and my heart on the blog. For me the blog was about food yes, but it was also about sharing my faith.
You blog about healthy recipes, what is your definition of healthy food?
Krista: My definition of healthy is “all things in moderation.” I do not believe in diets, never have, I’ve seen to many of them not work out in my family. What I’ve found is that if I eat “healthy” meaning whole grains, lean meats, fruits and vegetables, good fats and minimize my dairy intake 80% of the time. Then I allow myself to “indulge” the other 20% – so if I want to have beer and wings one night because their is a good game on. I will! Guilt free because I am giving my body the things it needs the other 80% of the time. I find this to be a healthy and more balanced way of eating that is guilt free instead of heaping “shame” on myself if I have a cookie. So those are the kinds of recipes you’ll see on my site. Healthy eats with a few sweet treats … cuz this girl ain’t gonna turn down a big chocolatey cake!
Did the way you look at food change at all when you became pregnant and/or when you had your son?
Krista: Honestly, it did not. I have eaten “healthy” since I was in college because I was an athlete. The food I ate was the same during pregancy and after.
If you ever have questions about food — be it nutrition, how it’s produced, etc. — where is the first place you go to get information?
Krista: Honestly, I ask my friends. I have quite a few friends who either work in the food industry or have degrees with nutrition. When I have a question I ask someone who knows! I typically do not Google because half the stuff you find on the “all knowing” internet is not accurate or is extremely swayed towards one side or the other.
Prior to the Best Food Facts farm tours we went on, did you have any concerns about agriculture/food/farming? If so, did anything help on the tour(s) to change your perception(s)?
Krista: Yes. I’ve heard so much about GMOs and what they can do to our body. Why we should buy organic, grass-fed, all local.. etc. After going on the Best Food Facts trip and talking to the farmers who are actually out in the fields I feel like I have a better understanding of what I’m buying and what’s in it. And learning that A LOT of the labeling on ingredients is misleading, for instance putting “gluten free” or “non-GMO” on a label for something that is naturally [free of] those things. It’s all about marketing and that part I find to be frustrating as a consumer.
What was one of your key takeaways from being connected to real farmers on farms and having access to the various experts we met on our tours?
Krista: Everything is not as it seems according to the media. The media tends to make it seem like farmers are out to make money and get the crops to the consumers however they can, using whatever products they want whether it’s harmful to our bodies or not. That is not the case. Farmers are eating the same foods we are, they are people. They don’t want to harm their consumers, they take pride in the product they put out. Like anyone else!
What is your favorite meal to cook for your family?
Krista: Well, that’s a hard one. Because I’m a food blogger, we rarely eat the same thing because I am having to come up with new recipes all the time. But I will say that consistently I like to stick to easy 30 minute meals … and I tend to make a lot of Tex-Mex foods or all things grilled!
You should really check out her gorgeous blog and delicious recipes! I truly agree with all Krista said in her questions — I eat everything in moderation too and focus on feeding my family healthy foods and don’t believe everything your read on a Google search!
Disclosure: This blog post is generously sponsored by Best Food Facts. All opinions are my own.