These 6 years have flown by…especially the last year. He’s in kindergarten and thriving, starting to score goals (and has the taste for it!) in Tykes hockey! Turning 6 doesn’t really phase me as a parent that much as I’ve been calling him “almost 6” for months when people have been asking how old our kids are that we’re expecting another baby in May. As with tradition since he was 3, here is his annual birthday interview.
In case you didn’t watch or missed his answers…
Braden at 6:
- Weight: 41.8 lbs (+ 1.6 lbs in 4.5 months)
- Height: 46″ (+2″ in 4.5 months!)
- Wears size XS/6 shirts and just starting to outgrow 5T pants/jeans
- Size 11 shoes, almost in size 12
- Sleeps 8:00 – 6:30, sometimes sleeps in
- Still sleeps with his blankie and loves the teddy bear that GG gave him
- Still in his Britax 5-point car seat, can do it up and undo by himself so he’ll stay in that until he outgrows it; does use a booster in Dad’s truck
- His speech is improving, can say “L’s” clearly now (used to say “reery” not “really”, but can now). Still cannot say “th” sound and lisps his “s” sounds
- Truly thriving in kindergarten, so glad we waited
- Has been wearing glasses for 5 months now
- Still hesitates to want to do things independently, but kindergarten has helped immensely (getting snacks, cutting up his food, etc.)
- Loves attending Sunday School
- Loving and doing very well in hockey, starting to score goals and loves it!
- Can ski independently and is very good and fast!
- Still in CanSkate, likely his last year, doing very well — can stop now and skate backwards, slowly
- Favourite TV shows (don’t know why he picked Voltron Force!) are Scooby-Doo (though he had his first bad dream related to Scooby-Doo, so no more for awhile), any Lego cartoons, still likes Paw Patrol with Ethan
- Favourite movies Harry Potter, Hotel Transylvania (1 & 2)
- Enjoys his Nintendo DS, playing the Xbox 360 and Kinnect games
- Loves books and starting to read on his own. Really enjoys Star Wars stories
- A pretty good, consistent eater. He’ll try anything we ask him to and always eats his veggies first, loves most fruits too!
- His favourite thing ever right now is Lego. He can build the age-appropriate sets on his own and just got a ton for his birthday!
- Had his first out-of-house birthday party at the Three Hills swimming pool and had a BLAST!
Braden’s definitely starting to “stick up” for himself and get a bit pushy at times with little brother (has had enough of Brother Destructo ruining things for the last 2 years!) abut all in all I can’t blame him and he and Ethan are really good friends. They play Legos, trains, even some video games together. He’ll get huffy and puffy and cross his arms and stomp his feet at times, but we don’t put up with or encourage that, so he’s slowly learning that will not get him what he wants!
Overall he’s still a very sweet and kind-hearted little boy. I’ve seen him mature a lot in the last few months and family have told us that too. He handled the passing of GG very well and attended her funeral. I’m proud of our son that he understands about Jesus and the promise of heaven. When the pastor was speaking at the funeral, she looked into Braden’s eyes and said that this part of the funeral was when we let go of GG’s hand and Jesus will take her hand into heaven. Braden took off his glasses and wiped his eyes with tears. Having your 6 and 3 year old sons attend a funeral may not be for everyone, but I’m glad in our decision as it was such a valuable lesson for Braden to get the full circle of birth, life, giving your life to Jesus and going home to Jesus in heaven when we don’t live on earth anymore.
We just saw the doctor this week because Braden perpetually sounds “stuffed up” even when he doesn’t have a cold. I was right and his adenoids are grossly large, so we just started him on Nasonex spray to see if that will help decrease the swelling and also improve his speech, hopefully it does! Would like to avoid surgery if at all possible, Dr. thinks he’ll likely grow into his adenoids and hoping the medicine will help!
Six is going to be so much fun! We love you, Braden!