I love making breads and dough. My husband, yet again, insisted that I must have his mom’s pizza dough recipe. This recipe came from his Grandma Graham but where she got it from, we’re not sure! Wherever it’s from, it’s awesome, easy, and anyone can make it…so I have to share it!
- Canola oil
Place warm water (this is key–the water shouldn’t be ‘hot’ or ‘tepid’! It should be between 110-115ºF) in mixing bowl–I use my KitchenAid stand mixer–and dissolve a package of yeast (I use Quick Rise) and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Mix and let stand for about 15 minutes until it looks “scuzzy” (gross, but true!).
Next add 1 cup of the flour, 4 tablespoons of canola oil, and 1 teaspoon of salt and mix until combined. I use my dough hook on my mixer.
Then add remaining 1.5 cups of flour and mix until combined into a big, soft, ball of dough! The dough hook does all the work for me but this could be done by hand too, of course. Cover bowl with clean tea towel in a fairly warm place and let dough rise for about 45 minutes.
Once the dough has risen it’s time to make some magic happen. The beautiful thing about this is you don’t need extra flour to work with it…at least I never have! I use a marble rolling pin and a silicone rolling mat and it works beautifully!
I roll it out, place it in my pizza pan, cut the edges off, and make my pizza!
I pop it in the oven at 400ºF for about 15 minutes (depending on the size of the pizza), keep an eye on it and take it out when the edges are just golden brown and the cheese is starting to bubble and brown too.
And here’s the printable and easier to follow recipe.
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110-115ºF)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 2½ cups flour, divided
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (not too hot, not tepid) with sugar; let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 4 tbsp canola oil into yeast mixture to make a soft dough.
- Add remaining 1½ cups flour until mixed into a ball of dough.
- Let dough rise 45 minutes.
- Make pizza or anything else you would make with pizza dough and enjoy!
- If making pizza, baking at 400ºF for about 15 minutes (depending on size of pizza) until crust is golden brown and cheese starts to bubble is what I go by.
This dough is very yummy and soft and tastes SO much better than the tube pizza dough–make your own, fresh–you won’t regret it! I have used this dough for pizza, pizza bread sticks, homemade pizza pockets…the possibilities are endless! I hope you enjoy this recipe.