I have a little secret: I’ve just completed Jillian Michaels’ brand new One Week Shred. At the beginning of last year I did her 30 Day Shred and saw amazing results. I’ve been a total slacker in the workout department…honestly since I finished it! I worked out a little here, a little there, but I’m naturally more active in the warm months going on walks with the family and the dog, so I don’t make a point of popping in a workout DVD and exercising. My friend Heather told me about Jillian’s new workout, as we did the 30DS together (virtually!), so I figured since I had such great results from that and it’s still my most popular blog post…that I should try her One Week Shred to kick start my workout routine for warmer weather.
What is it?
Here’s the description from Amazon:
Need to crash your weight loss for a special upcoming event high school reunion, wedding, party, beach vacation in a bikini, etc.? Jillian Michaels’ new DVD One Week Shred has you covered. It’s a comprehensive one-week diet and exercise plan to help you lose those last few stubborn pounds you’ve been dying to shed so you look insane and feel amazing.
Essentially it’s a workout to get your butt in shape FAST and she claims you can lose up to 7 lbs in a week and get “totally shredded”. It takes a lot of discipline to finish it, but it’s doable. It consists of a 30 minute morning strength work out followed by a 30 minute evening cardio workout—which means that, yes, you will be working out twice a day. Dividing your workouts will give you double the after burn and you will burn double the calories, which is great for your metabolism, claims Jillian at the beginning of the strength DVD. I woke up early before the kids to do my AM strength workout and did the cardio after my youngest was in bed—it’s recommended to do them separately for maximum calorie burn. (By the way, this is NOT me. I have never in my life woken up with the sole purpose of working out first thing in the morning; thus proving—anyone can do it if they want to!)
The Strength DVD
- Divided into 4 circuits; you do each circuit twice
- The 4th circuit is short
- You will need 3 lb (or more) weights and a yoga mat if desired
- Starts with a warm-up and ends with stretching (total closer to 35 minutes)
- There are a lot of drills that require one-arm planking…I truly don’t think I’d ever be strong enough to master these…definitely not in one week!
- The modified exercises are still challenging
The Cardio DVD
- Divided into 3 circuits; you do each circuit twice
- No warm-up or cool-down, but ends with stretching
- I REALLY liked the cardio DVD, much better than strength
- I wasn’t gasping for my breath by any means, but my heart rate stayed up and there were enough low-impact and slower drills that broke it up nicely
- Burpees are hard enough…but 1-arm burpees? Are you kidding me!? Modify if you need to—I certainly did!
I found overall that the workouts really did sail along. I hate that there’s 4 circuits in the strength…even though the actual workout is as long
Results: Before & After Pictures
As when I did the 30 Day Shred, I didn’t do this to lose weight. I did it to be healthy and strong, and cardio never hurt anyone. I started feeling stronger by day 3 and the workouts became doable. I don’t notice really much of a difference in the pictures, only the after side view, stomach is a bit more toned, I think.
Update: It’s been brought to my attention more than once in the comments that the before & pictures of the front view are the same. This was a mistake and not done intentionally, but yes the pictures of the front view are the same and are my before pictures. The “after” picture is long gone and I cannot amend this picture, my apologies.
Measurements: Before —-> After
Bust: 37″ —-> 37″
*Natural waist: 30.5 —-> 29″
Waist: 36.5″ —-> 35″
Hips: 37.75″ —-> 37.5″
Thigh: 21.5″ —–> 20.5″
Physically I definitely notice a difference in my stomach and buns/thighs the way my jeans fit, as you can see I lost 1.5″ from my waist! Since having both of my kids I have always felt that I have been stretched out (no kidding!) with the skin on my flanks. Since doing this workout, I definitely notice that it is gone—I kid you not. I think that’s where I lost the inches from my waist(s).
*Note: My “natural” waist is actually where you are supposed to measure your waist, at your “hour glass” indent/above the hip bone, “waist” was measured at the waistline where your pants sit. Thigh measurement is 1 thigh.
- I was not in shape at all when I started this, just like I wasn’t in shape when I did the 30 Day Shred.
- I wasn’t near as sore after a few workouts of the One Week Shred
- My calves burned almost the whole week, and I feel like I should have had a rest day as almost all of cardio involves your calves; small relief on days 6 & 7
- I thought there would be no way I could do two workouts a day, but I could—and so can you!
- Somehow you just form a routine, there’s a light at the end of the 7-day-tunnel
- Remember the purpose of this: crash weight loss/fitness, this is not a long-term plan
- I did NOT follow her meal plan nor did I diet. I eat pretty healthy as it is, I don’t drink alcohol or pop (on a regular basis) and I don’t eat too much junk food. I don’t think all of Jillian’s nutritional advice (especially regarding agriculture/science) is accurate so I do not follow her menu plan
- I don’t do well with high-impact activity and by day 5 my knees were starting to hurt, especially my left knee from old sports injuries
- The hardest part was the working out twice a day thing—usually after a workout you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you’re done for the day…but with this, you’re working out 12 hours later or less, over and over and over again
- Mute the workout and play your own music once you get the hang of it
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below and I’d be happy to answer them!
This is not a sponsored post, but it does contain affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- I’m The Mom Who Hates Sleepovers - May 21, 2019
- The Ultimate Parenting Hack | Online Grocery Shopping - April 11, 2019
- How to Grow Dahlias - April 3, 2019