When Braden was a baby I often saw babies and toddlers wearing Baltic amber teething necklaces. At first, I thought it would be very unsafe for a baby to be wearing a necklace, and I truly thought that since it was a teething necklace, that they were made for babies to chew on. Such is not the case! Luckily for me, Braden was a great teether. Sometimes he was a bit ornery during the day, but not once did it ever effect his sleep – we were very lucky. Ethan has showed signs of teething already (starting at 4 months), and this is about the age that Braden started too.
I am hoping to have a good teething baby again…but just in case, I started to research amber necklaces more. My sisters-in-law bought amber for their babies and have sworn a difference. They said it obviously couldn’t take away all the pain, but that they noticed happier babies. I immediately went to the Hazelaid website, read some product reviews and was thrilled to see that not only did hazelwood claim to help with teething, but it also worked to absorb the excess acid in the body, therefore helping out with problems caused by excess acid such as reflux and eczema! Sound familiar? I ordered Ethan the 11″ all brown hazelwood necklace and it came extremely fast! Upon it’s arrival I was also thrilled to find out that Hazelaid is a Canadian company. I love to support Canadian brands and small businesses as much as possible.
I’d love to share with you more about the Hazelaid family:
Hazelaid was born in 2008 after their family discovered the amazing healing properties of hazelwood. The jewelry is made with pieces of wood from the hazelnut tree, and as I already mentioned, has the unique property of absorbing the extra acid produced in our bodies when it is in contact with our skin. Like my boys, their 3rd child was suffering from severe eczema and they had tried everything to help alleviate symptoms when a friend told them how hazelwood had helped her son with his painful acid reflux. They, like I’m sure many of you, were skeptical but curious. But, after a couple of weeks of wearing a hazelwood necklace and using a hazelwood zinc oxide ointment, their daughter’s skin had drastically improved and she was spitting up less too. Their whole family has sensitive skin and they have all benefited from these products.
If I can be honest with you, which I always am, I was hesitant not only about the potential results that they claim, but also to put jewelry on my baby boy…because he’s a boy and boys typically don’t wear necklaces. Yes, boy moms claimed that their babies now looked like little surfer dudes…but I still wasn’t sold. Until I saw my Ethan in his hazelwood for the first time. He.looked.ADORABLE! I quickly got over my own personal stigma of having a baby boy in a necklace and was eager to start seeing results.
Reading more up on hazelwood, they claim it can take up to 3 weeks to start seeing the effects of acid being absorbed from the body.
Is it working?
I have noticed the following in the month and a half that Ethan has been wearing his. Please note that this evidence based on our personal experience:
- No teething pain at night anymore – this has been the biggest difference I’ve noticed since we got the necklace
- Eczema has not gotten worse, but has not completely cleared up. Spots still appear sometimes, especially on his head – his eczema may not be acidic in nature as 30% of eczema cases are not acidic
- He cut his first 2 teeth just a couple days short of wearing his necklace for 4 weeks and he was awesome! His sleep was not affected one bit, whereas before the necklace he had restless nights due to what I assume was teething
- I feel that the necklace really started to work after the 3 week mark, even closer to the 4 week mark, and that it has helped with his teething
- Hardly any drooling!
Other Noteworthy Items
- I was worried that the necklace would leave an indentation on his neck and it never has (the red in the picture above is from his natural neck crease)
- It is very lightweight
- Wood has started to chip off the necklace but this is normal
- I have never found it too tight on him
- He wears it overnight and it has never bothered him – this is a personal choice that I feel safe making for my son—any necklace is a potential choking hazard and these can be worn as anklets or bracelets instead
- He never tugs at it or plays with it
- Did you know the lighter the amber the more powerful it is? Like their best-selling amber & milk Baltic amber necklace or the super butter Baltic amber necklace.
- They also sell Hazelaid Soap Nuts which are a natural alternative to laundry detergent!
Use code NURSE10 to get 10% off you orders at Hazelaid.com – unlimited use! (This is not an affiliate code).
Disclosure: I was given a discount code to purchase additional products for personal use to review as I see fit from Hazelaid.com. The discount code provided is not an affiliate code, however this post does contain affiliate links to offset the costs of running this blog. All opinions on this blog are my own. As always, this blog does not give medical advice, these are my personal experiences. Please be aware of the potential choking hazards of infants and children wearing any necklace.