He’s the happiest baby on the block. What can I say? He’s giggly and goofy…and snuggly (at times!). And now he’s a whole half a year old! Say whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?
Weight: 16 lbs
Head: 42 cm
Ethan gained 6 oz this last month, so 1/2 pound in 2 months which I find to be completely normal for a breastfed baby!
- All the 3-6 month clothes officially went bye-bye last week and I even brought up a lot of 12 month stuff that looks like it will fit him or will fit him soon. I actually had a 12m onesie/pant set and I just had to roll up the sleeves of the onesie but otherwise it fit him. Sigh.
- The small FuzziBunz diapers are getting a bit snug, but his one-size Kawaiis fit him really well on the smallest setting still
- I bought him a lot of summer clothes in size 12m and I’m sure he’ll fit them perfectly…if summer (or even spring!) ever gets here
- We’ve made it to 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding! That’s only mommy’s milk for 6 months straight!! This was a big goal for me. I’m sure I could have introduced solids earlier, but he wasn’t showing the signs like Braden was, so I just didn’t see a point in rushing it
- We’re going to try solids at the beginning of next week after he’s had time to recover from his shots…I don’t want to introduce 2 new things in one week
- For my own personal notes, it’s happening again that my left side is definitely not producing as much, so I only feed from there just 3 times a day and have to start him on the right to get a let down and then switch him over to the left!
- He eats about every 2-3 hours during the day, depending on naps and once late in the morning
- He has virtually stopped spitting up finally! He’ll have an off day here and there, but I figure that’s more what “normal” babies do anyway
- Over Easter we had some hiccups with sleep training plus teething issues…but it didn’t take long to get back on track
- He’s sleeping 8-10.5 hours on his own and then I feed him and he’ll sleep anywhere from 1-2.5 more hours – I don’t mind doing the one feed, I did this with Braden and he dropped it on his own at about 8 months and started sleeping 12 hours straight
- If he wakes up at night, I always give him time to settle himself back to sleep…but lately he gets REALLY worked up with big fat tears pretty fast. Maybe he’s just used to me coming in and gets ticked if I don’t right away?
- Naps are crazy. He usually has one good long nap a day 2-2.5 hours and a 1.5 hour nap. And that’s it. And they happen mostly in the morning. Some days he’s up from 1 until bedtime at 6…it’s just not right and I have no idea how to correct it….it’s just something he has to outgrow. He doesn’t nap like that every day, sometimes he has a late afternoon nap, but usually only a 45 minute one
- Bedtime is anywhere from 6:15-7:15 depending on his naps
- Will.not.sleep.in.car.seat.STILL! We went to the mall and he was up for 3 hrs 45 mins total, slept for FIVE MINUTES in the car seat and woke up on his own. Sigh. At least he’s happy all the while…
- He cut his first two teeth (bottoms) the day after my 30th birthday! He did really, really well and seems to be less fussy for naps now
- So much stronger in the supported sitting position
- Enjoying exersaucer time now, but doesn’t move around in it at all
- First time in Jolly Jumper…doesn’t jump but is very jolly!
- Growling – Daddy taught him this and it’s very cute
- He REALLY wants to talk, he studies our facial expressions and how we say words so intently, but no words yet
- Purposefully grabs items to chew on
I truly believe he’ll settle into his groove once he starts eating 3 solid (literally) meals a day and gets down to 2 long naps a day. He wants to nap 2 times a day…but he doesn’t stay up long enough in the morning and the 2nd nap isn’t long enough yet. Also, his head shape is really improving, it had been flat on the back/right side but it’s definitely gotten better and all signs of his torticollis are completely still gone. His hair (as you can see!) is growing like crazy and I think it’s seriously almost time for a haircut! The sides are getting little wings! Everybody seems to love his hair, and we do too!
I think I need to get Ethan out and about more. I think he needs more stimulation and it might help him nap better in the afternoons. His wake time is about 2 hours between naps now which gives me *enough* time to drive to town, get groceries, and come back without him getting too cranky. Honestly though? This weather needs to smarten up. We just got more snow last week and the temperatures have been just above freezing. I’ll say it again – as soon as spring arrives, and stays…I’m buying Braden a Britax Frontier car seat and moving Ethan into his Britax Marathon convertible. I think Ethan will be happier and it’ll be easier for me to get him in and out to wear him on our errands.
Ethan’s not much of a mover…and that’s okay with me! He rolls consistently from tummy to back – a great way to get out of tummy time! He doesn’t really want to roll from back to tummy. He just likes to chill on his back or his sides. He loooooves his play mat still and has it out for a little red plush birdie that hangs from it. It’s been really nice that he can grab things now to teeth on, he’s really getting the hang of Sophie!
I did take some of his 6 month pictures yesterday, but I would like to take some more so I’ll do a post with all of them later! For now…here’s a sneak peak of the cuteness! (ACK! The hair! Everyone – including us, of course! – loves his hair!)