I have gotten a lot of emails and tweets from fellow bloggers asking how I’ve liked my Blogger to WordPress transfer so far. I’ve been blogging with WordPress since the beginning of this year and I am in love. I, like a lot of you have said, was completely content and comfortable with the Blogger platform. BUT since at least September of last year Blogger’s design template had been on the fritz and I couldn’t do something as simple as change my background or the title fonts. This was the last straw so I finally bit the bullet, talked to my designer and friend Jacqueline, and hired her to do the transfer for me.
The transfer itself didn’t take long at all and I quickly became acquainted with my new blogging platform. Not only did I now own my just my domain (www.nurselovesfarmer.com) but I actually owned my blog! I bought hosting space through my designer, and now Blogger didn’t own my blog anymore. That’s the scary thing about blogging through Blogger – it could shut down at any moment’s notice and – poof! There goes your blog. I think that’s why a lot of the “big kids” have moved to self-hosted WordPress blogging.
Here’s some screen shots to give you an inside look at WordPress if you’ve never seen it on the inside before, like I hadn’t.
Editorial Calendar – One of my very favorite things about WordPress is the editorial calendar, this is a Plugin. I love to have a visual so that I can evenly spread my posts out and you can drag them from day to day and I love that you can put your drafts in the calendar too!
Posts – Here’s different screen shot of posts. You can see them in different statuses – published, schedulted, drafts – and there’s a nice visual for when Plugins need to be updated.
Writing a Post – This is part of what the screen looks like when writing a new post. I love that I have the option to make a post public or private – this way I can send a “published” post to a sponsor to get approval for exactly how it’s going to look, if need be. As soon as a blog post goes live, it’s automatically tweeted and shared on my personal Facebook page – easy peasy! It’s super easy to add categories and tags too (not shown).
Changing the Sidebar – One of the things I get asked most is “Is it still as easy to change my layout/sidebar?” Yes! In fact, it’s easier I think. There’s a variety of widgets that come with your theme and Plugins that you can download and just drag right into your sidebar, header, or footer.
So that’s just a sneak peak at some of WordPress. I’m learning more every day and finding it extremely easy to be organized and still have a lot of freedom with my design and layout. It’s very easy to change your header and your background too, I get asked that a lot as well!
Tips for Blogger to WordPress Transfer:
- Hire Someone – Yes, you can do it by yourself…but this is a big thing with lots of important stuff that I’m sure you don’t want left out…so hire a pro to do it and make sure it’s done right.
- Get Good Plugins – A Grande Life has been such a wonderful resource, Stephanie has amazing tips and tutorials
- Learn SEO – This has been the #1 best good thing about my transfer. My blog stats have sky rocketed and I’ve literally gotten over 4 times my unique monthly visitors from really paying attention to SEO
- Make It Pretty – One thing I cannot stand as a blog reader is a messy, unorganized blog. So as a blogger I strive to make my blog neat, tidy, organized, and (hopefully) pretty to look at
- Endless Plugins that can do so so so much for your blog
- SEO has driven up my blog stats like crazy
- IP blacklist to easily block spammers….and other people you don’t want seeing your blog!
- Plugins like Buffer automatically publish my posts to social media, making it one less step to remember and do
- Media library to easily upload and add images to blog posts
Have to manually add signature for every post (from media library)turns out there’s a Plugin for that!
- Need to use HTML/CSS to change post title, sidebar titles, which I
don’t know how to doam learning how to do, but usually have to ask my designer to
- I lost all of my embedded videos on my posts…and I’m not sure why.
So there you have it! An inside look at my Blogger to WordPress transfer. If you have any questions just leave them in the comments below and I’ll reply!
*UPDATE: Jacqueline has generously offered my readers $25 off either of her packages for transfers! Just email her and mention this discount and she’ll get you all set up! Thanks, Jac!
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- Every Child Needs Thomas in Their Life - November 18, 2017
- Teach Your Kids To Clean Now & They’ll Thank You Later - November 16, 2017
- The Best Instant Pot Roast You’ll Ever Eat! - November 6, 2017