Oh this baby is such a joy. He is happy, he is content, he is healthy, he is THRIVING. He wakes up with a smile on his face and it’s not often that smile leaves his face throughout the day. Look at how my boy has grown!
Weight: 15 lbs 8 oz
Length: 25 1/4″
I knew this time would come that he would plateau. He only gained two ounces in a month, but he did still grow 1 1/4″. He had such a massive growth spurt from 3-4 months (almost 2 lbs + 1.5″) that it’s no wonder the guy finally plateaued! I just don’t see it in the picture though, do you? Plus what’s so puzzling to me is that he has virtually stopped spitting up (more on that below) and for half of the month he was eating the most he ever has around the clock. Hmmphh! Babies!
- We said goodbye to all 6 months sleepers and onesies, except his terry sleeper from Carter’s which I find always fits big, and he’s exclusively in 9 month sleepers and onesies/pants sets
- He almost fits in Old Navy 6-12 month sleepers and fits 6-12 month shirts and onesies
- He’s actually started wearing real clothes this last month because he doesn’t spit on them every 5 minutes!
- Small FuzziBunz, the new style, are getting a bit snug and his one-size diapers are fitting him great!
- 5 months exclusive baby! So proud of us for getting this far
- Eats way more often during the day now because he’s down to 1 feed at night, between 3-4 AM
- His spitting has decreased even more, but when he first started feeding more during the day he did get spitty for a bit
- Still going to aim to hold off on solids for another month, or honestly longer if he doesn’t seem ready – he’s nowhere near ready yet
- I sleep trained him the week of March 4, so when he was 4.5 months old and it went very well
- Now he still puts himself to sleep at all times like he’s been doing for over a month, but if he wakes up at night he can settle himself and that time is getting shorter and shorter
- I’ve moved his dreamfeed later and later from 1AM to 3AM, my goal is to get to 4AM and then eventually nothing, but I am very happy just getting up once for 5 minutes – it’s a HUGE improvement from last month!
- With sleep training he always stays in his crib for naps for 1 hour. He has one 45 minute nap daily, but if he pulls a 25 minute nap, he more than likely will fall back asleep in the 35 minutes he has left and continue to have a big nap
- Still rarely naps after 3:30 PM, and even if he does…it’s still really hard to get him to bed at a decent (later) time, but it is getting better
- The biggest problem right now, even with the spring forward DST we just had, is he wants to go to bed at supper – 6PM (or earlier if I let him). This is REALLY hard because it means if he gets up at 5AM (which he does) it’s perfectly acceptable and I have to get up for the day at that time
- Still doesn’t nap in his car seat
- Rolled from back to tummy a few weeks ago – but only the once until the other day again! He did it just like Braden during nudey time, I left the room to get something, came back and he was on his tummy!
- Found his feet (one of my FAVORITE milestones) but has yet to really play with them
- Sitting in his high chair during mealtimes with us, getting good practice in
- Starting to play in exersaucer
- “Screaming” in the morning. It is SO loud! It’s a very happy scream/squawk and it’s pretty cute
- He tries SO hard to imitate facial expressions and sounds, he’s just so cute!
- Has started grabbing at my face when I’m on the floor playing with him
His torticollis is completely gone, but his head is still quite flat on the back/right side. I am hoping this will just improve the less he is laying down and the more time he is upright, which is why we’re practicing sitting a lot lately! His hair is growing more and more and I think it’s starting to lighten up, especially on the sides, though it always looks auburn/red in pictures just like Braden’s used to.
It’s still very hard to be out and about with this guy, which is why (sadly) he probably only left the house 5 times this last month. When his wake time is maximum 1.5 hours and it takes me a round-trip of driving alone 1 hour…it’s really hard to have a happy baby on my errands, so I’ve been going alone as much as I can, which is really nice! As soon as the weather smartens up in Alberta, I’m moving him into a convertible car seat. He’ll be more comfortable, I won’t have to lug the bucket around (that he doesn’t sleep in anyway), and it’ll be easier to get him in and out of as I’ve had to wear him anytime I go grocery shopping.
Next month is a big one! I turn 30 and Baby Man turns 6 months – eek!