Disclosure: Please make sure you are cleared by a physician to start this exercise program, especially if you are post-partum like I was.
Alternate title: 30 Day Shred Level 3 – Bye, Bye Birthing Thighs! Don’t laugh — it’s true! Level 3 totally works on the buns and thighs way more than level 1 or 2 did. Oh! Did I mention I’M DONE!!!!!! I’m so happy that I did all 30 days. At Day 25 I hit another wall and just couldn’t imagine doing 6 more days of the “same old same old” thing. BUT, something that really helped me through was changing the audio settings right on the DVD so I didn’t have to listen to repetitive Jillian anymore! Why did I only discover this on Day 26!?
I did take a 4 day break when I went to visit my brother and I was sick at the same time. I honestly needed that break. Getting sick I was so run down I’m sure my exercise wasn’t doing any harm, but it was really hard to get through.
Here’s my Level 3 summary:
- Definitely the hardest of all the levels
- Very fast pace, it’s done before you know it!
- I did about 1/2 modified 1/2 advanced moves
- I should have pushed myself more to do deeper squats but near the end I just wanted to be done
- I was huffing and puffing at the end of this work out every.single.day
- The most cardio intense level for sure
- The ab moves are killer and I got toned a lot more the last 10 days, even the last 5
- Once again, Jillian didn’t have breastfeeding mothers in mind with the “superman” exercise and that’s all I’ll say about that!
Ready for the pics? I see a definite improvement! My 30 Day Shred before and after pictures:
I’m so happy that I can definitely notice a difference. Bye bye, muffin top!
My Tips for the 30 Day Shred
- Push Through It: After the first day, especially if you haven’t worked out before, or in a long time like me, you will feel like jelly and ache with every step. Keep going! Don’t take a break, just push through, somehow keeping on exercising makes your muscles feel better.
- Take a Rest Day: Not everyone who does the Shred takes a rest day, some push right through for 30 days straight. I’ve asked some fitness friends who assure me it’s very important to take a rest day to let your body do just that – rest & heal. I took 1 rest day every week, other than when I got sick. I would have been run down if I didn’t rest.
- Don’t Feel Bad Doing The Modified Exercises: I ended up finishing my 30 Day Shred doing mostly advanced moves, but I still cannot do a push-up – so don’t feel bad if you need to do the modified exercises, even on Day 30!
- Turn The Audio Off: Well, as I stated above…it’s an option anyway! If you’re like most people who do the Shred, you’ll get sick of Jillian’s coaching and the repetitiveness of it. Play your own music and just keep your eyes on the screen so you know when the exercise is done.
Again I remind you: if I can do it, so can you! Why? I’ll tell you:
- I’m a 29 (almost 30!) year old mommy of a 3 year old and 3 month old
- I get about 6 hours of broken sleep a night (if I’m lucky)
- It’s only 25 minutes a day – 25 minutes! We can all spare that!
- One day I got up at 0345 AM and still did it, no excuses!
- I have exercised through stomach aches, a sore throat, and a sinus cold, so can you! (Yes, I did take a 4 day break, but that was primarily due to travel and exhaustion from my illness!)
I bought Jillian’s Ripped in 30 DVD. Although it’s another 30 day plan I will not be doing 30 days straight-ish again! Since I got to level 3 on the Shred I think I’ll do each level in Ripped (there’s 4 levels this time) once and see what I like. I’m going to drop my work outs to 3-4 times a week. This time if I host a party and I’m run off my feet all day…I’m not going to feel pressured that I must work out in the evening like I have been…it’s really run me down at times.
I’ve gotten so many wonderful comments and emails saying that I have encouraged you to try the 30 Day Shred! This makes me so happy! Go get it!
Update March 2014!
I just completed Jillian’s new One Week Shred! Read about it here.
This post contains affiliate links.
Latest posts by Sarah Schultz (see all)
- How to Start the Curly Girl Method - December 8, 2018
- Pre-Christmas Getaway in Banff | Mountaintop Christmas - December 5, 2018
- This is Why I Stay at Home With My Toddler - November 27, 2018